HVAC Winterization Tips in PennsylvaniaPosted On: November 7, 2014
The winter months in Pennsylvania can be extremely harsh, particularly in the Scranton and Wilkes-Barre areas. With consistently low temperatures throughout the winter, it is important to take the proper steps to protect your HVAC system from cold temperatures.
A broken heating and cooling system in the middle of winter means uncomfortable temperatures throughout your family’s house, as well as costly repairs.
Keep reading for HVAC winterization tips from T.E. Spall & Son and to learn how to keep energy costs low in your Pennsylvania home.
Winterization Tips for Your HVAC System
In order to ensure your heating and cooling system is working properly during the winter, use some of the following tips:
- Schedule semi-annual HVAC maintenance – no matter where you live, scheduling HVAC maintenance is vital towards keeping your entire HVAC system working properly and efficiently. Semi-annual maintenance—once in the spring and once in the fall—can keep your furnace, air ducts, and the rest of your HVAC equipment working properly throughout the winter and avoid expensive repairs.
- Protect against drafts – one of the easiest ways to conserve energy use and stay warm during the winter is to protect against unwanted air drafts. Warm air often escapes through window cracks and door frames, allowing cold air to enter your house and causing your heating and cooling system to work harder. Caulk, patch, or weather strip around windows and doors to eliminate drafts.
- Replace or clean air filters – a dirty or clogged air filter causes your HVAC equipment to operate less efficiently. Replace or clean your air filters to improve airflow and increase efficiency throughout your HVAC system.
- Keep a consistent thermostat – traveling out of town for a ski trip or a holiday party? To save on energy costs, set your home’s thermostat at a slightly lower temperature (no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit) in order to keep low utility bills.
How Do I Know if my HVAC System Needs Repair?
There are many signs that your heating system needs repair. If you experience any of the following, contact your local HVAC company immediately.
- Your heating system runs constantly – if you notice your heating system is running for longer periods of time in order to keep your house warm, it may need repairing.
- Your heating system runs inconsistently – if your HVAC system is turning on and off inconsistently, there may be an issue with your equipment.
- Higher energy bills – an unexpected increase in energy bills often indicates a problem with your HVAC system. If there are no weather related events that the increase could be attributed to, schedule a checkup with your HVAC contractor.
- Circuit breaker trips frequently – a circuit breaker that frequently trips could mean your heating system is experiencing an electrical issue. Without being repaired, this could cause other needed repairs and even cause a fire in your home.
Why Choose T.E. Spall & Son?
At T.E. Spall & Son, we are a family owned and operated company committed to providing our customers with the highest level of service in the HVAC industry. Our technicians have been consistently exceeding customers’ expectations in the Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA areas since 1985.
Learn more about our heating and cooling services Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.