When Should I Schedule an AC Tune-Up?Posted On: February 12, 2015
Air conditioning is the key to home comfort during the summer—especially during the hot, humid summer days common to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. So, is your AC working at its peak performance levels? If you haven’t scheduled an air conditioner tune-up lately, it probably isn’t working as efficiently as it could.
The Best Time for an AC Tune-Up
Spring is the ideal season an air conditioner inspection. The brunt of winter is behind you and warmer weather is swiftly approaching. A springtime tune-up prepares your air conditioner for a summer of efficient operation and a comfortable interior no matter how hot it is outdoors.
Signs Your AC Needs a Tune-Up
All homeowners should make yearly tune-ups a priority. Failure to do so could lead to these problems:
- High operational costs: A clogged filter, dirty components, improper refrigerant charge and other problems lead to high air conditioning costs.
- Ineffective operation: Your AC might run constantly yet fail to keep the interior comfortable.
- Strange smells: Musty or moldy odors could indicate a water leak or ductwork littered with debris.
- Noisy operation: Listen for odd squeaking, squealing, clanking or other sounds that could indicate the system is having a problem.
Benefits of AC Tune-Ups
Are routine visits from a professional all that important? It is if you want to enjoy these benefits:
- More efficient operation: Tasks such as lubricating moving parts, recharging the refrigerant and cleaning the evaporator coil help your air conditioner function more efficiently. Better efficiency means lower utility bills and a smaller environmental impact when cooling your home.
- Longer lifespan: The same way a car lasts longer if you always change the oil on time, routine maintenance helps prolong your air conditioner’s lifespan.
- Fewer mid-season breakdowns: As fate would have it, your air conditioner is most likely to fail on the hottest afternoon when you need it most. Reduce the change of failure on a sweltering summer day by scheduling maintenance before a heat wave rolls in.
- Cleaner indoor air: Changing the filter helps improve indoor air quality, as does searching for and sealing up ductwork leaks. Both tasks are part of AC tune-ups, so take advantage of them for cleaner indoor air.
- Quieter operation: With loose joints tightened and grinding motors lubricated, your AC runs quietly in the background following a tune-up.
Schedule AC Tune-Up in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, PA
If it’s been over a year since you tuned up your air conditioner, don’t put it off another season. Contact T.E. Spall & Son to schedule an AC tune-up this spring. We have been Scranton’s Comfort Doctors since 1985!